Understanding the Impact on the Environment
We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and are striving to become an environmentally sustainable hotel, whilst offering guests a luxury experience.
- Developing the best and most suitable practices throughout our hotel and self-catering properties.
- Staff training days to learn and discuss our sustainability policy.
- Listening to guests’ and employees’ comments regarding environmental issues.
- Educating guests and employees on environmental issues and their impact on natural resources.
- Encouraging and implementing sustainable practices and programmes.
- Re-enforcing these practices through researching the best suppliers, buying procedures and promoting relationships with environmentally aware suppliers.
- Working directly with our suppliers, employees and the local community to promote effective and meaningful environmental best practice.
- Local suppliers and contractors used wherever possible – reducing mileage, supporting local businesses and helping Cornwall’s economy.
- Monitoring and reducing energy consumption.
- Focussing upon sustainable buildings and operations in design and construction.
- Environmental controls and management of our Blue Flag beach.
- Installing energy efficient systems.
- Minimising waste by recycling and reusing materials whenever possible.
- Use of recycled paper and reducing paper use, e.g. our daily chalk boards.
- Minimising laundry usage.
- Working with organisations and charities to reuse or recycle furniture or linen.
- Utilising ecologically friendly chemicals in our cleaning processes.
- Re-sited all underground incoming power cables, reducing energy levels.
- Investment in central power monitoring has enabled renewed lighting arrangements.
- Converting to energy-efficient lighting and heating.
- Planting trees and including the outdoors in our environmental programmes.
- Natural growth of plants, flowers and vegetation is encouraged, attracting wildlife (monitored via CCTV).
- Promoting sustainable methods of transport for staff and guests: public transport (interconnecting railway and buses); electric car; car share; and walking.
- Investment in electric car charging points.
- Being aware of air quality.
- Rain water management and usage.
- Investment in cistern misers to minimise water wastage.
- Food wastage reduced through in-house composter.
- Engaging in local community and environmental activities and events.
- We support/sponsor a number of local events/charities, e.g. South West Coast Path Association/St Ives Biathlon/RNLI/Surf Life Saving Clubs.
- We are proud to be a carbon neutral website. We offset the CO2 produced by our web server through COCO2, specialists in providing a carbon-neutral solution for websites.
Guests and staff are encouraged to embrace and partake in our sustainability policies whilst at the Carbis Bay Hotel & Estate and we hope they will continue with new practices after they have left us.